Channel Start Guide
From MIXXnet Wiki
Step 1: Creating The Channel
The first step in creating a channel is to join it first. While you're on IRC, type "/join #yourchannel", without quotes and replacing "#yourchannel" with the channel you want to create. If the channel is empty or unregistered, you will become an op (@) in that channel.
Step 2: Registering with ChanServ
In order for you to be the owner of the channel, and have full privledges on it, you must register it with ChanServ. This is a very easy process, however it requires a registered nickname. If you have not already registered a nickname, see the NickServ documents on how to do that. To register a channel, type the following command into your IRC client:
/msg chanserv register #channelname password description
If you have succeeded, you will see something like this:
-ChanServ- Channel #channelname registered under your nickname: YourNick -ChanServ- Your channel password is test - remember it for later use. --- ChanServ sets mode +n #channelname --- ChanServ sets mode +t #channelname --- ChanServ sets mode +r #channelname
- /topic #channelname New Topic - This will set the topic of your channel to whatever you wish
- /mode #channelname +o nickname - This will op the person with the nickname "nickname"
- /mode #channelname +h nickname - This will give channel-half operator status to the person with the nickname "nickname"
- /mode #channelname +v nickname - This will give voice to the person with the nickname "nickname"
- /mode #channelname +b user@host - This will ban that user/host mask from your channel
- /mode #channelname +s - This will make your room secret, and not show up when someone does a /list
- /mode #channelname +p - This will make your channel private
- /mode #channelname +i - This will make your channel "Invite-Only". This means you must "/invite nickname" for them to be able to enter your channel
- /mode #channelname +m - This will make your channel "Moderated". This means that only people with a voice (+v) or higher (such as an op) can speak in the channel.
- /mode #channelname +N - This disallows nickname changes while in your channel
- AutoOP (aop) - This user will have kick/ban and can set almost any channel mode, but does not have access to any ChanServ commands, and cannot add/delete people from the access lists.
- SuperOP (sop) - This user has full channel privledges. They can set almost any channel mode, and can add/delete people from the ChanServ access lists. They can also use ChanServ to "AutoKick" (akick) and ban a user.
- HalfOP (hop) - This user can kick and ban regular and voiced users. They cannot kick or ban ops.
- Voice (vop) - This user can speak in channels with +m set, but has no channel moderation features. Having a voice in an unmoderated room does no good.
ChanServ Channel Commands
- /chanserv aop #channel add nickname - This will add "nickname" to the channel auto-op list
- /chanserv sop #channel add nickname - This will add "nickname" to the channel super-op list
- /chanserv hop #channel add nickname - This will add "nickname" to the channel half-op list.
- /chanserv vop #channel add nickname - This will add "nickname" to the channel auto-voice list.
- /chanserv *op #channel del nickname - This will delete "nickname" from the *op access list. Replace "*op" with either "hop", "aop", "sop", "vop".